The Do’s and Don’ts of Wearing a Disposable Respiratoradmin
The Do’s and Don’ts of Wearing a Disposable Respirator Mask. Personal protective equipment (PPE) can come in handy. When it comes to us protecting ourselves from suffering the consequences. Inhaling or coming in contact with contaminant – whether on the surface or airborne. Although people are well-equipped with the importance of personal protection. Some are not equipped enough when it comes to donning and removing PPEs. These include respirator masks specifically particulate respirators such as the N95 and N99.
There are a lot of things to look out for when you’re required to wear a respirator mask. Easy as it may seem, this protective equipment actually requires more attention to detail than you think. Without the proper attention, the equipment won’t be able to provide protection that you expect.
With that said, here is a list of do’s and don’ts. You have to take note of when it comes to wearing particulate respirators.
Particulate Respirator DO’S
- Prior to wearing the mask, make sure that you check the condition of the mask. This includes checking the mask for holes and overused or worn out straps.
- ALWAYS wear the mask when you’re in a hospital setting. This will help you protect yourself from airborne contaminants that might cause infections or respiratory problems.
- The mask will come with the manufacturer’s guide in wearing and removing the mask. Be sure to read the guidelines.
- When you’re wearing the mask, make sure that you mold the particulate respirator on the bridge of your nose to ensure a proper fit. It also helps to press the sides of the respirator onto your face to seal any leaks.
- Be sure that your mouth and your nose are completely covered by the mask. Do a complete check on the seal of your respirator after putting it on.
- When removing the mask, tilt your head forward as if you’re blowing it and start pulling the straps from the back and lower part of your neck making sure that your hands will not come in contact with the surface of the mask.
- Dispose of the mask properly and be sure to do a hand hygiene routine before and after wearing the particulate respirator.
- Always use a new mask. Since particulate respirator mask is disposable, you can use a new one every time.
Particulate Respirator DON’TS
- Reusing the mask is not recommended. Be sure to dispose of it after each use.
- Do not wear a mask without undergoing fit testing. The mask will not be able to protect you if this is the case.
- Do not wear the mask if it is soiled or wet, even if it’s a new one.
- Do not wear respirator hang around your neck while not in use.
- Do not touch the mask as it may be contaminated.
- Do not share respirators with co-workers and especially strangers.
- Do not snap the straps as it will encourage the spreading of contaminants.
Being knowledgeable of the do’s and don’ts when it comes to personal protection is extremely important. It pays to do your own research when it comes to protecting yourself using respirator masks. You’re not only protecting yourself but you’re also somehow protecting your future.
Be sure to keep yourself protected from all kinds of contaminants in our surroundings. If you don’t have any personal protective equipment ready, it may be best to include it on your next grocery shopping. Don’t forget to grab particulate respirator masks while you’re at it.